It is important for us to give a short description of what is Shiatsu Massage, as this discipline is one of our main stars ✨.
We give classes of Shiatsu Massage In New-Zealand Gisborne and on demand by Google Meet ( online ) or we can also come to your house if you want to receive treatment or receive a class where you will learn to massage your partner and Vice Versa.
Our classes are innovative; we offer the Couples that come the opportunity to receive and give a massage differently. We hold the space for reconnecting with physical touch in a gentle way. As you are coming with your partner, you choose the person with whom you gonna share this session, and you will feel confident and safe.
We love to promote the importance of touch with Shiatsu Massage.
Shiatsu Massage Definition
Shiatsu massage is a traditional Japanese massage technique that involves applying pressure to specific points on the body to promote relaxation, relieve tension, and support overall well-being. The word “shiatsu” translates to “finger pressure” in Japanese, reflecting the primary method used in this massage style.
Shiatsu is based on the principles of traditional Chinese medicine, particularly the concept of meridians or energy channels that run through the body. According to this philosophy, blockages or imbalances in the flow of energy (known as “qi” or “chi”) can lead to physical and emotional discomfort.
During a shiatsu massage session, the practitioner uses their hands, thumbs, fingers, and palms to apply rhythmic pressure to specific points along the body’s meridians. This pressure is typically applied in a sustained manner and can vary in intensity based on the individual’s needs and preferences.
In addition to finger pressure, shiatsu massage may incorporate other techniques such as stretching, joint mobilization, and gentle manipulations. The recipient remains fully clothed during the session, usually lying on a mat or a futon on the floor.
Shiatsu massage aims to stimulate the body’s natural healing abilities, improve circulation, release tension, and restore balance to the energy flow. It is often used for stress reduction, relaxation, pain management, and overall well-being.
However, it’s important to note that shiatsu is not intended as a substitute for medical treatment, and individuals with specific health conditions should consult with a healthcare professional before undergoing any form of massage therapy.
Importance of Touch
The importance of giving a gentle massage and touch extends far beyond simple physical contact. Touch is a fundamental human need and is crucial to our physical, emotional, and social well-being.
Here are some key reasons why touch is significant:
- Communication and Connection: Touch is a powerful form of nonverbal communication. It can convey emotions, support, comfort, and understanding. A gentle touch can express love, empathy, and compassion, fostering a sense of connection and strengthening relationships between individuals.
- Emotional and Mental Well-being: Touch has the ability to positively impact our emotional and mental states. It can promote feelings of relaxation, reduce stress, and alleviate anxiety and depression. Touch stimulates the release of oxytocin, often referred to as the “cuddle hormone,” which can enhance feelings of trust, bonding, and well-being.
- Physical Health Benefits: Touch has been linked to various physical health benefits. It can help reduce blood pressure and heart rate, improve immune function, and enhance overall circulation. Therapeutic touch techniques, such as massage, have been shown to alleviate pain, promote muscle relaxation, and aid in the recovery of injuries.
- Infant Development: Touch is particularly crucial during infancy and early childhood. Skin-to-skin contact between parents and newborns has been shown to regulate the baby’s body temperature, heart rate, and breathing. Touch also contributes to the development of the infant’s brain, sensory perception, and emotional bonding.
- Sense of Safety and Security: Touch can create a sense of safety and security. Hugs, holding hands, or a reassuring pat on the back can provide comfort during times of distress or uncertainty. Physical touch can help individuals feel grounded, supported, and protected.
- Social Bonding and Trust: Touch plays a significant role in social bonding and the establishment of trust. Handshakes, hugs, or even a friendly pat on the shoulder can foster a sense of connection, strengthen relationships, and build rapport.
It’s important to note that the context, cultural norms, and personal boundaries surrounding touch vary among individuals and societies. It’s crucial to always respect personal boundaries and obtain consent when engaging in physical touch.
A Shiatsu Massage Class
A shiatsu massage class is a learning opportunity where individuals can gain knowledge and practical skills related to performing shiatsu massage.
Participants come by pairs. They choose their partner for the session. They can expect to learn various aspects of this traditional Japanese bodywork technique. Here are some common elements covered in a shiatsu massage class:
- Theory and Principles: Participants are introduced to the fundamental principles and concepts of shiatsu massage. This may include understanding the meridian system, energy flow, and the basic theoretical framework of traditional Chinese medicine that underlies shiatsu.
- Techniques and Application: The class focuses on teaching the specific techniques used in shiatsu massage. Students learn how to apply pressure, use their hands, fingers, thumbs, and palms effectively, and employ different strokes and movements. They also learn about proper body mechanics, positioning, and postures for delivering shiatsu massage.
- Point Location: Participants learn about the location and significance of specific points along the meridians that are targeted during shiatsu massage. They learn how to identify and palpate these points.
- Sequences and Routines: Students are taught various shiatsu massage sequences and routines that can be applied to different parts of the body. These sequences typically involve a combination of pressure, stretching, and joint mobilization techniques.
- Practice and Hands-on Experience: Practice , practice, practice Students have the opportunity to practice the techniques they learn on their partner. Remember that the person lying down is your best teacher. This hands-on experience allows students to develop their skills, sensitivity, and bodywork techniques.
- Contraindications and Safety: Participants are educated about contraindications and safety considerations when performing shiatsu massage. They learn about specific health conditions or situations where shiatsu may not be appropriate or require modifications.
Our Shiatsu massage classes are of 1:30 hour but can be adapted to 1:00 hour
Contact us if you want to explore this wonderful way of giving a massage and receiving one.